This position is a member of the STREET department which is responsible for the maintenance and repair of City roads and right-of-ways; maintenance and repair of drainage located on City property; installation and maintenance of signs and roadway markings; and removal of snow and ice. Employee operates, maintains and repairs various machinery, tools, and equipment.
This position is responsible for maintenance and repair of City's WATERLINE system. Installs any and all new additions to the existing distribution system as well as performs necessary maintenance and or repairs to any part of the water distribution system. Performs miscellaneous duties such as operating and repairing equipment, general clean up, concrete finishing, painting, etc. Uses various hand tools, power tools, heavy equipment and machinery.
This position is a member of the WASTEWATER(Sewer)Department which is responsible for maintenance and repair of the City's sewer line system. Employee performs necessary maintenance, repairs, and/or replacement of sewer system components. Employee uses various hand tools, power tools, heavy equipment, trucks, and machinery. Employee performs miscellaneous duties such as operating and repairing equipment, general clean up, concrete finishing, painting, etc.
Good communications skills are required as this position frequently deals directly with the public. The primary hours of this position are Monday through Friday during the day; however, extended shifts and overtime on weekends, evenings, and holidays may be required.
• Performs maintenance and repairs to City streets. Uses the following heavy equipment as part of oil and chip resurfacing: backhoe - to load material into trucks and excavate damaged pavement, and with a pavement breaker to break pavement; dump truck - to haul material to job site; grader - to scarify and mix asphalt; pulvi mixer - mix rock; compactor to compact and level rock; oil distributor to spread oil. Uses router and crack pot sealer to rout and seal cracks and repair holes in asphalt. Uses loader to load material.
• Repairs storm sewer drainage; installs new storm sewers. Uses jet truck to flush blocked storm sewers, uses backhoe to excavate, backfill, and handle material.
• Cuts brush and weeds throughout City using boom mower, brush hog, and various small equipment and tools. Removes limbs and/or trees on City right-of-way; disposes of trees and limbs by hauling in dump truck or shredding using tree chipper. Monitors City right-of-way, picking up litter, garbage, etc. Uses street sweeper to clean streets as assigned; assists in spraying herbicides, as assigned.
• Performs snow removal on an emergency call out basis. Uses backhoe and loader to load trucks with salt, de-icer and other chemicals; dump truck to spread chemicals; dump truck with plow for removal of snow and ice.
• Installs and repairs traffic control signs and street signs; repairs guard rails as needed. Repairs and replaces concrete curbing; installs, repairs and replaces sidewalks; repairs and replaces driveway aprons.
• Participates on emergency call-out list which is in effect 24 hours a day for emergencies such as street cave-ins, snow storms, damaged traffic control signs, etc.
• Performs necessary maintenance at street garage, clean up and repair, including general landscaping, painting, maintaining and repairing various equipment, machinery and tools.
• Drives dump truck to haul leachate trailer for removal of landfill leachate.
• Assists water and sewer lines in construction and repair operations as assigned.
Maintains and repairs water lines, fire hydrants, and related equipment. Installs water pipe and makes repairs to water lines throughout the City's entire distribution system. Installs new water taps.
• Operates the following heavy machinery and equipment as needed to fulfill the duties of the position: backhoe - to dig ditches; grader - to repair roads, clean ditches, and repair damage to streets and yards caused by water line repairs; dump truck - to haul material to and from job site; breaker - to break concrete and blacktop to allow for repairs to water lines; trencher - to dig ditches for water pipe; bore machine - to bore under roads, etc.; tapping machine - to install new service connections; line stop machine - to stop water flow in water main to allow for repairs; welder - to make general repairs to equipment; chainsaw - to cut pipe and tree limbs as necessary; concrete saw - to cut into pavement, blacktop, or concrete for water line repairs; magnetic locator - to locate underground tracer wires, valve boxes, etc. Uses miscellaneous other equipment as needed.
• Participates on emergency call out list which is in effect 24 hours a day for emergency water line/water main breaks.
• Runs service orders. Locates water service and water mains, completes turn offs and turn ons, performs re-reads, installs new meters, repairs damaged meters and/or meter pits, installs valves and valve boxes, repairs hydrants, etc.
• Makes necessary repairs to property after completing excavations. Performs landscaping duties, and other duties as necessary to restore property to original condition
Maintains and repairs sewer lines, manholes, lift stations, and related equipment. Troubleshoots and makes appropriate electrical repairs to lift station pumps and controls.
• Operates the following heavy machinery and equipment as needed to fulfill the duties of the position: backhoe - to dig ditches and, with breaker, to break pavement; dump truck - to haul material to and from job site; jackhammer and air compressor - to break concrete and blacktop to allow for repairs to sewer lines; trencher - to dig ditches for sewer pipe; tapping machine - to install new service connections; welder - to make general repairs to equipment; chainsaw - to cut pipe and tree limbs as necessary; concrete saw - to cut into pavement, blacktop, or concrete for sewer line repairs; magnetic and radio locator - to locate underground tracer wires, valve boxes, force mains, and manholes; jet/vactor truck - to jet clean sewer manholes and lines; TV truck - to televise sewer lines. Uses miscellaneous other equipment and tools as needed.
• Participates on emergency call out list which is in effect 24 hours a day for emergency sewer stoppages, backups, breaks, lift station malfunctions, etc.
• Locates sewer lines and sewer mains for the JULIE system. Locates laterals for new construction, and inspects new sewer connections. Performs appropriate smoke and dye tests to determine if laterals are connected to City's sewer main. Makes machine tap-ons. Raises manhole frames and covers, and makes repairs to manholes when necessary. Inspects along easements to ensure manhole covers are intact and undamaged. Cleans trees and brush away from easements to allow room for equipment and to keep tree roots from damaging sewer lines. Inspects grease traps at commercial sites, coordinates issuance of citations when necessary, and follows up to ensure appropriate clean up is performed.
• Makes necessary repairs to property after completing sewer line repairs or excavations, including landscaping, fence replacement, and other duties as necessary to restore property to original condition.
• Performs routine maintenance to lift stations. Takes meter readings from metering stations. Maintains stormwater lift station.
• Performs necessary plant maintenance, clean up and repair, including general landscaping, painting, cleaning mud wells, repairing and maintaining various equipment and machinery. Performs general electrical and hydraulic repairs and troubleshooting.
• Assists street and water divisions when necessary. Helps street division clean catch basins, etc., helps water division control and repair major water main breaks.
• Performs Relief Wastewater Plant Operator or Batch Operator duties as assigned in the absence of the primary operators, such as during vacations, sick leave, etc.
High School Diploma or GED. Valid Driver's License. If hired, must obtain CDL within first 60 days of hire. Professional communication skills. Ability to work call outs: evenings, weekends, holidays and/or overtime. Ability to work in extreme heat or cold. Ability to fulfill the physical requirements of the positon as stated in the about description.
Applicants must successfully complete pre-employment exams, physical & drug screen. Must participate in random drug/alcohol testing throughout employment. If hired and living outside the corporate limits of the City of Collinsville, MUST live within a 10 mile aerial radius of Collinsville City Hall-125 S. Center St.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.